It is well known that routine exercise has numerous benefits for your mental and physical well being. But sometimes getting back into that routine can be a significant challenge.
With that in mind the National institute of Health has outlined some brief tips to begin or continue your regimen safely.
After having consulted with your physician.
- When starting an exercise program, begin slowly with low-intensity exercises.
- Wait at least 2 hours after eating a large meal before doing strenuous exercise.
- Wear appropriate shoes for your activity and comfortable, loose-fitting clothing that allows you to move freely but won't catch on other objects.
- Warm up with low-intensity exercises at the beginning of each exercise session.
- Drink water before, during, and after your exercise session.
- When exercising outdoors, pay attention to your surroundings -- consider possible traffic hazards, the weather, uneven walking surfaces, and strangers