The National Council on Aging has compiled a list of effective and proven Fall Prevention Programs.
These programs have been thoroughly vetted by the to help adults reduce their chance of falls.
It is should be no surprise that falls can be very dangerous and be very costly.
We plan to showcase each of these programs over the coming weeks to help you or a loved one find the right program and enhance their independence.
The following statistics from the National Council On Aging highlight this growing problem:
- 1 out of 3 Americans over 65 fall each year
- Every 13 seconds an older adult is treated in the emergency room for a fall
- Every 20 minutes an older adult dies from a fall
- In 2013, the total cost of fall injuries was $34 Billion, 78% paid by Medicare
- This total cost may reach $67.7 billion by 2020
- Falls without injury can lead to a fear of falling. This fear leads to physical decline, depression, and social isolation
And it should be no surprise that falls in adults over the age of 65 are the number one cause of head injuries and broken hips.
Many of these proven programs are offered locally from qualified instructors, online videos, DVDs, or can help you find a similar local program.
The first of these NCOA vetted programs is called A Matter of Balance.
A Matter of Balance
A Matter of Balance is an eight-week structured group program that focuses on practical strategies to increase levels of activity and reduce the fear of falling
The program teaches one to step back and look at falls and the fear associated with falling as controllable.
Participants set realistic goals to increase their level of activity, make changes to their environment to reduce or remove fall risk factors and exercises to improve balance and strength.
The Matter of Balance Program consists of 8 x 2-hour sessions led by Matter of Balance Master Trainer within a small group (10-12 participants).
Currently, there are over 500 master trainers in 39 states and the District of Columbia.
After completing the program participants should expect:
- 97% are more comfortable talking about their fear of falling
- 97% feel more comfortable increasing their daily activity
- 99% aim to continue regular exercise
- 98% would recommend the Matter of Balance Program
- $938 savings in unplanned medical costs per Medicare beneficiary
For further information about this program, find a location near you, and see if it is a good fit for your please visit a Matter of Balance's Home Page
Next Friday we will feature the multimedia training system: Fallscape.org